Meet Becky Fox – Fitness and Nutrition Expert and TV Model
How I Met Becky Fox
I was given Becky’s name by a mutual friend, Tony Teegarden, who said something along the lines of “you have to meet Becky, she is a real connector and has a great story about how she got interviewed on TV after only being in town for about three months!” Becky recently moved to Florida and started another fitness business from scratch. Within just a few short months, she was able to get on the local news as a featured story and then again as a fitness and nutrition expert on one of the station’s regularly scheduled segments.
Becky and I met in person for the first time over coffee and discussed how she was able to connect with the local media through different social media platforms in a very short period of time. She had learned how to do this through an online course, and put her learning into action immediately. I was so impressed with her story and her business savvy, that I invited her to be a guest on my podcast.
I decided it would be great if we could meet at the studio where Becky trains her fitness students to do the podcast interview to get an idea of her surroundings and what she does for her students. Besides using social media to get on tv, Becky discusses another great application for using Facebook with her fitness students. She keeps them accountable to their fitness programs by checking in with them if they miss class, discussing upcoming events they may want to be involved in, and even having her students keep an eye on each other.
Most Important Points During the Interview with Becky Fox
- Use Facebook groups to increase your client retention and connection to your company and each other (if appropriate).
- Take the initiative and take action. Don’t sit around and wait to get noticed. Don’t assume they have the information to find you and to know what you do.
- Reach out to the producers of the TV show – find out who they are by following them on social media.
- Keep trying even if you don’t succeed initially.
- For news shows, reach out to the producers and anchors routinely. Becky used Twitter to do this by reaching out to the news anchors first, then the producers – this helps you to stay “top of mind” for when they may need your product or service for a story.
- Even if the phones don’t start ringing off the hook upon being on a TV show, if you are seen regularly for what you do, you will eventually be seen as an expert in your field and people may choose you over a competitor.
- You do NOT have to be an extrovert to be a connector and Make ALL the Right Connections! You can take baby steps to learn how to reach out and make connections.
- When reaching out to the local media to get interviewed or become a regular on a local TV show, make sure you research (by watching the shows you want to be on) WHY it makes sense to align yourself with a particular show and then let them know HOW it makes sense for them and their viewers. Let them know the specific idea for the TV segment and why it makes sense for them and their viewers.
- Make sure you have a great visual to bring for the show. It’s television, afterall! You may think your product or service may not have any good visuals, but you may be surprised.
- If you are a local business, make sure you get out and network and make sure you have something to give to others first and foremost. It’s like a courtship! If you help others, they will help you and build your network of connections.
- Maintain connections with the “little things” – show them that you care: Becky noticed that the TV station had donuts and, because she is a nutrition expert, she made and brought to the station a healthy snack for everyone to share.
- Make a list of your connections and become top of mind by reaching out to them monthly and asking them if there is anything you can do for them.
Connect with Becky Fox
Becky offers a TON of fitness and good nutrition content on her website and social media platforms. Head on over to find out more:
Resources Mentioned in the Interview or Found for You!
Gary Vaynerchuk’s book “Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook”
Article: How to be an Expert on any Television News Program
Article: How To Get Six Figures of Free Press with Josh Elledge – Interview by Jaime (Tardy) Masters
Article: Eventual Millionaire article on How to Get Press [VIDEO]