Meet Troy Dean – WP Elevation & Video User Manuals Founder and WordPress Consultant
About Troy Dean
Troy Dean is the founder of:
- WP Elevation, which is a membership site for WordPress Consultants to learn how to improve their businesses on all levels (including processes and bottom-line revenue). It’s a business accelerator program for WordPress Consultants.
- Video User Manuals, which is a WordPress plugin that provides clients using WordPress to learn how to edit their own sites by following tutorials provided by the plugin (this is an AMAZING product for WordPress consultants/designers/developers to give to their website-editing “DIY’ers”
- Troy Dean, WordPress Consultant, which is Troy’s own consulting site (yes, he practices what he preaches).
He is also a Podcaster, Voice Over Talent, Speaker, Coach and Consultant.
How I Met Troy Dean
When searching for information regarding how to build a business using WordPress, I immediately found a podcast that had short, sweet and very actionable tips by a great sounding Australian web designer named Troy Dean. I was intrigued by his “101 Ways to Elevate Yourself and Demand Higher Fees” as it pertained to WordPress Consultants. I listened to that podcast all in one sitting and went to the suggested website to download the accompanying free document. Then I found Troy’s other podcast, website and knew I just had to join his community.
His membership site at WP Elevation is, by far, one of the most helpful site for teaching WordPress designers/developers/consultants how to improve their businesses and generate more revenue. It was the first time where I had heard the phrase “WordPress Consultant” and loved that there were so many others looking for the same type of information.
Most Important Points During the Interview with Troy Dean
- Success and money will follow you when you become a top 20 influencer. Here’s a way to make this happen:
- STEP 1: Create a spreadsheet of the top 20 influencers in your industry by looking online (if your industry is there) or offline (in trade magazines and look at exhibitions and conferences that are coming up) and ask yourself who are the top 20 people who have the most influence in your market place.
- STEP 2: Find out how many followers they have, where they are going to events, etc.
- STEP 3: Make it your job to get INTO that top 20 list.
- You know you are a “top 20 influencer” when the people on your list start sharing YOUR content with their audience.
- Troy made this happen by starting a podcast and INTERVIEWING the top 20 people on his list!
- Troy has included a bonus called “Podcasting Pro” inside his WPElevation.com membership site.
- If you genuinely help others online and/or offline:
- People will see you as someone that’s not trying to be annoying and just asking for something, but are actually trying to add value and
- It just genuinely makes you feel really good! When you get stuck in your own head, go out and see if you can help someone else.
- Good energy will come back to you.
- Do something for someone else and they will probably reciprocate (the law of reciprocity). For example, Troy created a free eBook to give to his audience and mentioned one of his top 20 influencers, Vladimir Prelovac. He eventually reached out to Vlad and told him about the mention and allowed Troy to interview him for his podcast.
- The way to outreach to influencers and people, in general, is: You have to know what you want and you have to make it super easy for them to say yes.
- First thing is you have to get them to open your email! Troy does this with a fabulous subject line: “I’d like to promote you”
- Then tell them something like this: “I love what you’re doing for the community, especially that _________________ [eg. video you did for xyz]”. Also tell them how big your audience is. Troy gives a great example during the podcast of an email template he uses to reach out to his top 20 influencer.
- Don’t be afraid to hit the Publish button – so many people never get started with an online business because they are afraid they are not good enough, know enough, etc. The Impostor Syndrome (see below).
- The more educational, practical, useful content you produce on a consistent basis, the more success you will have.
- Don’t give up – be consistent, continue to produce high quality content for your audience and it WILL pay off – it may take some time, but just don’t give up!
- Troy learned from Amy Porterfield: She told him that she creates the highly valuable, high volume and consistent content to her audience because it’s about THEM, not HER! She feels she OWES THEM this content, and she knows she’s the best one to provide it for them. Amy actually feels she’s doing them a disservice if she DOESN’T give them this content.
- Here’s another great affirmation if your hesitant to hit the publish button: “If you want to learn how to swim, you have to get in the water.”
Connect with Troy Dean
- Troy on Twitter
- Troy’s website
- WP Elevation – Troy’s membership site learning how to become a WordPress Consultant
Resources Mentioned in the Interview or Found for You!
- Ed Dale, Internet Marketer – Ed was the major connection that helped Troy get his start on learning how to generate recurring income from Internet sales. He had a 30 day challenge to show people how to make their first dollar on the Internet.
- Chris Lema – Consultant, Coach, and all-around genius for all-things WordPress. He is particularly knowledgeable about recurring income with membership sites using WordPress.
- Matt Medeiros – Creator of the Matt Report podcast.
- Kim Doyal – The WordPress Chick, mentor and friend.
- Matt Mullenweg – One of the original creators of WordPress.
- Vladimir Prelovac – CEO of ManageWP; This is the first interview he had with a top 20 influencer in his market.
- Rand Fishkin of Moz – Founder of Moz.
- Derek Sivers – CD Baby.
- Adii Pienaar – Co-founder of Woothemes.
- Brennan Dunn – Double your Freelancing.
- Brendon Burchard – Internet Marketer.
- John Warrillow – Author of Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You and The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
- The Impostor Syndrome: Becoming an Authentic Leader – A book about this phenomenon.
- Bill Belew – The gentleman Troy interviewed that said “Just hit the publish button”.
- Amy Porterfield